Parole in Place (PIP) for Family of Military Personnel

Parole in Place (PIP) for Family of Military Personnel

Parole in place was created for undocumented spouses, parents and unmarried children of U.S. citizens, who are members of the U.S. military (current or past), to allow them to apply for legal status in the United States. PIP is available to noncitizens with a clean criminal history and otherwise admissible into U.S..


Eligibility requirements:


To qualify you must be a spouse, parent, or a child of:

  • Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Current members of the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve, or
  • Former members of the U.S. Armed Forces or Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve


Applicants should file the following:


  • A completed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  • Evidence of relationship to armed forces member
  • Evidence of active duty membership or past membership in the U.S. Armed Forces, the Selected Reserve, or the Ready Reserve, such as copy of the service member’s military identification card (DD Form 1173)
  • Two identical, color, passport style photographs
  • Evidence of favorable discretionary factors (e.g. statement of hardship to the military service member, applicant’s participation in the community etc.)


The application should be sent to the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the applicant’s address. There is no filing fee. The applicant will then receive an appointment for the taking of biometrics.


After being granted parole, applicants can apply for employment authorization, and those who qualify can apply for adjustment of status.


The parole and employment authorization are valid for one year the parole is valid for one year with reparole as appropriate.


To learn more about your options contact our San Francisco law firm to speak with one of our immigration attorneys.