Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens (F1)

Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens (F1)

For immigration purposes, a “child” is defined as being unmarried and under 21, whereas if a person is married and/or over 21, that person is defined as a “son” or “daughter”.


If you are a U.S. Citizen you may petition for:


  • Unmarried children 21 and under and
  • Unmarried sons and daughters 21 or over and their children


If your son or daughter is 21 or older, the process can be lengthy because they are not considered your immediate relatives, and Congress has put a limit on the number of persons that can immigrate under this category annually.


To learn more about your options contact our San Francisco law firm to speak with one of our immigration attorneys.