EB-1B Outstanding Researchers

EB-1B Outstanding Researchers

Overview of the EB-1B

The EB-1B classification is for foreign nationals who are internationally recognized as outstanding in a particular scientific or scholarly field. The foreign national must have 3 years of experience in teaching or research in their academic area. The individual must also be entering the United States in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education. Unlike the EB-1A classification, EB-1B cases are employer sponsored. This means that the petitioning employer must demonstrate that the foreign national has outstanding ability as a researcher or professor and has a permanent job offer from the petitioning employer.


Qualifying for the EB-1B

To be internationally recognized as an Outstanding Researcher or Professor in one’s field requires at least 2 of the following types of evidence:

  • Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  • Membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  • Published material in professional publications written by others about the foreign national’s work in the academic field
  • Participation as a judge (individually or as part of a panel) evaluating the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  • Original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  • Authorship of scholarly books or articles in journals with an international circulation in the field


To learn more about your options contact our San Francisco law firm to speak with one of our immigration attorneys.